Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What are the benefits of donating my vehicle to The NRA Foundation?

The NRA Foundation benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund programs such as youth education, law enforcement training, hunter education, conservation, firearms and marksmanship training and safety, and much more.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the time and costs associated with selling your vehicle. There is no need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy or possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance or repairs to keep your vehicle operational while you wait for a buyer.

What does The NRA Foundation do with the vehicle?

Donated vehicles are sold at private auction by a trusted, independent third party. You receive our sincere gratitude for your thoughtful donation and The NRA Foundation receives 80% of the shared proceeds which are used to fund programs and services. The other 20% benefits Charitable Adult Rides & Services (CARS). Both The NRA Foundation and CARS are 501(c)(3) organizations, resulting in 100% tax-deductibility for your gift.

Does my vehicle need to be in running order for me to donate it?

In some cases we take your vehicle, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be towable. Vehicles in poor condition may be declined because the cost to tow them may be more than the value of the vehicle. If you have any questions, call and talk with our representative toll free at  1-866-NRA-GIFT.

What do you accept for donation?

Many types of vehicles are accepted including cars, boats, motorcycles, trucks, RVs and even airplanes! If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact us toll free at 1-866-NRA-GIFT.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

We make donating your vehicle as simple and convenient as possible. An authorized towing company will contact you within 24 hours.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative toll free at 1-866-NRA-GIFT.

What paperwork will I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have the title with you when you call in your donation or complete the online form. Please note: A “clear title” indicates that the title is in the name of the donor without a lien. To obtain a duplicate title all that you will need is a copy of your driver’s license.

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspection, you may donate your vehicle without these documents. 

What type of receipt will I receive for my vehicle when it is picked up?

When your vehicle is picked up, the authorized tow driver will give you a document called a “Pick-Up Receipt.” The Pick-Up Receipt is a legal document and should be kept. Do not allow your vehicle to be picked up unless you are given a Pick-Up Receipt. If you have any questions, please call our toll-free number, 1-866-NRA-GIFT.

How long will it take to sell my vehicle once it is donated?

Auctions are typically held every other week. Once a vehicle is sold, follow-up paperwork is usually processed within 10 business days.

What if I receive legal notices?

In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, Department of Motor Vehicle action or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact us immediately for assistance at our toll-free number, 1-866-NRA-GIFT.


Tax Questions

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes. Our tow driver will issue a Pick-Up Receipt at the time the vehicle is picked up for donation. The Pick-Up Receipt will indicate the donor’s name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the vehicle being donated. Along with our thank you letter, this will be the only receipt if the vehicle sells for $500 or less. If that happens, it is up to the donor to determine the value of their deduction as long as it is $500 or less.

What if the proceeds from my vehicle donation equal $500 or more?

For a vehicle that sells for more than $500, donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive from us, after the vehicle has been sold, an IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on the IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.

What can I claim as a tax deduction?

If a vehicle sells for $500 or less, it will be up to the donor to determine the value of their deduction as long as that figure is $500 or less.

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contribution of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to the donor within 30 days of the sale. It will state the amount of gross proceeds received from the vehicle, provided the vehicle sold for more than $500. This will be the tax receipt for the charitable contribution.

You can also contact us toll-free at 1-844-CAR-4-NRA to explore other ways in which you can give.

You may also email us at [email protected]

The NRA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.  The NRA Foundation Tax ID number is: 52-1710886